42 They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers.
43 Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! 44 And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common 45 sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met.
46 They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, 47 as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved. MSG
Review: Acts 1:1 - 2:41
- Day of Pentecost
Acts 2:42-47, Word Study
- 42 Teaching "of the apostles" | didache - in Greek
- life together | community, common, koinonia - in Greek
- common meal | Greek: "breaking of bread" | Holy Communion, Eucharist, Lord's Supper?
- Prayers...who, when, where, why and how?
- 43 Awe in every soul, psyche - in Greek. What familiar word begins with "psych?"
- Wonders and signs | semeia - in Greek, like the English, "semaphore!" | Through the apostles; how?
- 45 Selling possessions and sharing the proceeds fulfilled the Jubilee Jesus announced at the very beginning of his public ministry.
- 47 Liked what they saw - the Greek is charis, the same word we use for grace; we also get charisma and charismatic from the same root word!
Acts 2:42-47, Where we Live
- Have you experienced the kind of community this text describes?
- How does this church do in terms of: teaching; community; prayer and worship; sharing resources; service to one another and to the surrounding neighborhoods?
- What aspect of the early church do you most want for yourself? For this congregation?